Wednesday, September 26, 2012

cemetery plots leading to new discoveries on the Newman, Latimer, Cook, Stewart lines

A reminder of the clan:

William Newman b abt 1803 England d. 1858 New York
Hannah (Westover) Newman  b. 1811 England d. 1887 New York

children:
Sarah Ann (Newman) Miller b. 1830 Gravesend, Brooklyn, NY d. 1923 NY
Mary Jane (Newman) Stewart b. 1834 NY d. ???
Frances E (Newman) Latimer b. 1840 NY d. aft 1901
Thomas Newman b. abt 1843 d...after 1850
Catharine B (Newman) Cook b. 1845 d. aft 1888

So, I ordered the death certificate of Charles O. Latimer (my great-great grandmother's nephew) and was disappointed when it didn't list his father's name. However, it did list the cemetery he was buried in, Cypress Hills in Brooklyn. After a few missed tries at reaching the research department, I was able to make contact this morning.

So, Olga looks up Charles this morning and tells me he is in section 15 lot 47. I was sad to find out that they don't have info like the parent's names, but they can send me the age at death, date of death, cause of death, and the last residence. ($30 for the first 5 names, $5 for each name after that)

The others buried in this lot are:

John J. Cook (Charles's uncle, married to his Aunt Catharine B)
James W. Cook (Charles's cousin)
F E Louden (didn't know this name)
Kate B. Louden (I thought Kate B might be Catharine B, but didn't know if it was the same person)
Robert Louden (obviously related to the 2 Louden's above, but who is he)
Mary J. Stewart (Charles's aunt)
Frances Skidmore (Charles's mother's name is Frances...but Skidmore?)
Hester A. Merwin (Charles had a cousin Hester/Esther A. Stewart, so this might be her married name)
Hannah Newman (Charles's grandma, my 3rd great grandmother)


So, I spent some time on familysearch.org and ancestry.com today and tried to track down the Loudens, Frances Skidmore, Hester A Merwin, and Thomas Newman. I tried googling some of the names, but didn't have luck with that tactic.

So, what were some of my findings?

The Loudens:

One of my first discoveries was in the 1892 NY State Census:

Fannie Latimer    45

Robt Louden      50
Kate Louden      45
Robt Louden      18
Edgar Louden     13

The ages for Fannie and Kate are wrong, but close enough.

Then I found this birth record:
Edgar R Lowden b 22 Aug 1878 Brooklyn, parents: Robert Lowden and Kate D Newman.


With the 1880 census having this:

Robert Lowden     32  Maine-Maine-Maine
Kate         "            30   NY-Engl-Engl
Robert William "      7    NY-Maine-NY
Edgar Bennett  "      1    NY-Maine-NY

The 1900 Census has Robert Louden listed as a widower, so Kate has passed away by 1900. By 1905 Robert has remarried to Rena and they had three children together...

Frances Skidmore

--could this be Charles's mother, Frances E (Newman) Latimer? I'm beginning to think she is. Latimer and Skidmore are similar.

Last time I "saw" Frances Latimer was in the 1901 Brooklyn Directory. I searched for Frances Skidmore today and found this:

1910 US Census Brooklyn  Graham Home for the Aged Ladies
Frances E (like my Frances) Skidmore
age 70 (so born 1840, like my Frances)
b. NY, father b. England, mother b. England (like my Frances)
widow, mother of 1 with 0 still living (just like my Frances)

1915 NY State Census Kings county, NY
Frances E Skidmore
age 75
b. Gravesend (like my Frances's older sister Sarah)

So, if the census takers just misread the registry at the Home for Ages Ladies, how come the cemetery records also call her Frances Skidmore? I will see if the cemetery records shed any more light on this situation.

Hester A Merwin

--well, I didn't find anything helpful at this point, but how can she not be Hester/Esther A Stewart, the daughter of Mary Jane (Newman) Stewart?

Thomas Newman

Thomas Newman references can be found...but there hasn't been a way to tell if they are mine or not. It's too common a name. But, I did find one reference that might be mine:

US Naval Enlistment Jan 1859
Thomas Newman age 16 (so born in 1843, just like my Thomas)
B. Gravesend, New York (just like my Thomas's oldest sister Sarah)

But I don't know what happened to him after this. I have emailed Cypress Hills Cemetery to ask if they have a record of him being buried there.

Still more work to do, but I love solving mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment