Tuesday, July 24, 2012

new discoveries--sharing photos with dropbox.com and looking at online newspaper sources

Mary Jo, my father's cousin whom I have never met, introduced me to dropbox.com where you can share files with anyone...even yourself (from one computer to another). We shared some photos last week and it's been wonderful. She gave me some photos of hers and was able to identify some of the people in mine.

For example, the following photo--which for some reason I have always loved--now has a name or two attached. The laughing woman holding the baby that I have been drawn to is one of my grandma's sisters...which is what I suspected, but didn't know for sure. I present my great aunt Edna Meigs Strong:


My other find, with the help of one of my genealogy email lists, is a link to a site where you can search some digitized old newspapers for genealogical information. I am working on the descendants of Joel and Elizabeth (Smith) Jervis and have been able to fill in some names and dates. I especially love finding obituaries. I knew such things were out there...I had stumbled upon the Brooklyn Daily Eagle database once...but now I have the link to another site and it's at the top of my web page here, so I won't misplace it.

Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment